This one-credit, online course was developed by the Department of Psychology and the University Career Center & The President's Promise to provide you with a flexible, dynamic and hands-on experience.
Learning Objectives - Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Describe the scientific methods by which scholars conduct research on career trends.
- Explain the crucial research findings that inform our approach to evaluating ourselves and to creating favorable impressions in other people.
- Apply psychological theories to explain how materials and networks influence professional outcomes
- Detail the role that cultural competence and emotional intelligence play in selection and performance.
- Identify specific, research-based recommendations for interview performance.
- Summarize research-based negotiation strategies for compensation packages.
Practical Outcomes - Students who successfully complete this course will have:
- Identified strengths, interest and professional development goals.
- Learned how to use the Careers4Terps site to locate internships and professional positions.
- Developed high-quality professional materials (e.g., cover letters, resumes, online portfolios).
- Established an effective professional social media presence and network with UMD alumni.
- Practiced and refined crucial interview skills.
For information on course availability and enrollment visit www.testudo.umd.edu