Jan 27, 2015

PSYC Alumnus Matt Cuozzo helping low-income youth to realize their college dream!


Matt Cuozzo earned his BA in Psychology from the University of Maryland May 2014. He also minored in Spanish Language and Culture as well as Leadership Studies. The PSYC blog interviewed Matt to learn more about his career with College Possible. 

What is your exact title? Where are you based? Can you talk a little bit about the mission of College Possible?
I am serving as a High School Senior Coach in Milwaukee, WI. College Possible helps low-income students gain admission to and graduate from college. Although the average 6-year graduation rate from college is 56%, low-income students only graduate at a rate of 11%. However, through the support and guidance of College Possible, our students graduate at a rate of 54%, equaling the playing field for the low-income students in our program.

How did you decide on working for College Possible? What do you enjoy most about your position?
I never doubted that psychology was the right major for me, but I discovered quickly into my undergraduate career that I did not want to pursue a career as a psychologist. Rather, my experiences at Maryland got me interested in the field of higher education. When I was searching the AmeriCorps database, in a desperate attempt to delay the “real world,” I stumbled across College Possible, and I knew the organization was perfect for me. The favorite part of my job is the relationships I get to form and maintain on a daily basis. All of my coworkers are between ages 21 and 26, and my students I serve are all high-school seniors. My staff is incredibly supportive, and my students are so determined to earn a college degree. I love knowing that my students need my so much and that my staff is so dedicated to College Possible’s mission.

What functions and responsibilities do you perform?
I work in a high school with 30 high school seniors. From August to December, we spent time on the college application process. We researched best-fit colleges, created resumes, wrote essays, and applied to college. (Our students are all required to apply to at least five 4-year schools.) My group of 30 students sent out over 190 college applications during that time. From January to March, it’s “money season.” We spend time applying to scholarships and filling out the FAFSA so they will get as much money to go to college as possible. Then, in April and May, we talk about transitioning to college. We cover the necessary skills that they will need to succeed as college students.

What psychology knowledge and/or skills have you utilized with College Possible?
My students are all very different in almost every way imaginable. My job is two-fold: 1) to respond to all of their individual needs and concerns, and 2) to present information in a way that will affect everyone. Psychology teaches you just that—how to understand your audience and cater to them individually and collectively. Dealing with high school students is an art that requires that correct balance of being quick to act and being observant of the situation. There is a reason that my school partner and my supervisor are both psychology majors; it prepares you for whatever comes your way.

How has your psychology coursework and background been helpful with this experience?
I often reflect back on the three-stage model of helping that I learned in PSYC433. Exploration, insight, and action… I think. I use this model on a daily basis. Whether my student does not want to write her scholarship essay, or whether I’m trying to understand why a student wants to apply to a school that will be too expensive for him, I need to be able to talk with my students in a variety of different ways to make sure they make the best decision possible. Furthermore, with the lessons I teach, I need to know students will perceive the information and how they will remember the information. I would say that I am a better Coach because of my psychology coursework at UMD.

What tips might you offer to any current students who are unsure about their career path?
Get out of your comfort zone! It is very rare to find someone who decides on a career in their senior year of college and then continues that same career for his or her entire life. Your early 20s, while you have minimal commitments, is a great time to explore those possibilities. For me, “outside of my comfort zone” was halfway across the country, but I know that moving 800 miles from home is not for everyone. Maybe that means taking a year off traveling before graduate school, or the dream career you’ve had since childhood, or doing a year of service, like me. Whatever it is, you don’t necessarily have the same freedom and luxury when you’re established in your career. Take advantage of this rare time in your life, and use everything as a learning experience!

For more information and questions you may contact Matt at MCuozzo@collegepossible.org 

Submit Your Blog Post Request Here

If you have an announcement or opportunity you would like to post on the PSYC E-News Blog please complete the PSYC Blogpost Request Form